Last updated: November 22, 2021
“Personal Data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Personal Data may include information such as personal and professional contact details, social security numbers, address, payment information, and cookies placed on a device.
“Processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
By using the Company’s Services you, the customer, acknowledge this policy and the Company’s approach to protecting your Personal Data. Therefore, it is important that you read and understand this policy before using the Services, as defined below. By using the Company’s Services you, the customer, acknowledge this policy and the Company’s approach to protecting your Personal Data. Therefore, it is important that you read and understand this policy before using the Services, as defined below.
How can you block cookies?
You can block cookies by changing the security settings in your browser. Here are some links to instructions for the most used browsers:
Purpose and legal basis
Within the scope of the agreement between the Company and you, the customer, and in order to fulfil our obligations as a provider of the Services, we Process the Personal Data that you have provided to us. The Processing of Personal Data is, in this respect, necessary to provide, operate and improve the Services.
The Company may as well Process your Personal Data if there is a legal obligation to do so.
Using cookies is necessary for providing and improving your website experience. The legal basis for the Processing is your consent, which you provide to us by actively clicking “Agree” to the question of whether you accept cookies or not.
If you provide us with your contact information through the contact form on our website, we will process your Personal Data in order to respond to your request.
If you have chosen to receive any promotional material from the company, as set out in “Your Rights” below, we Process your Personal Data, i.e. your contact information, based on your consent, for the purpose of sending you the requested material.
- To facilitate your use of the website, our services, and products
- To contact you as part of the ordinary customer relationship
- To provide general customer service and support
- To send you marketing material, including surveys and event invitations
- To gain customer insights and knowledge of how our various services, including websites, are used as well as evaluation and improvement thereof
- To comply with any applicable law
The Company takes all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data is processed and stored securely. Your personal data will never be stored longer than permitted by applicable law or longer than necessary to fulfill the above-stated purposes. Your personal data will be processed by us during the following time periods.
The company will only store and Process your Personal Data for the following periods of time:
Personal Data that has been provided to us through the contact form on our website. Depending on the character of the specific matter but as a general rule, until the specific matter has been handled. There may be instances in which the company stores this contact form data for longer periods, specifically to analyze the data and improve our customer support.
Personal Data for direct marketing purposes
We may process your personal data for direct marketing purposes unless you object to your personal data being used for direct marketing purposes
Personal Data relating to purchases
For as long as the customer relationship lasts, and for five years after that. However, when the customer relationship ends, only your name and information about what purchases and/or what kind of requests you have made will be stored.
The Company saves any documentation that constitutes accounting information in accordance with applicable accounting legislation.
In cases where we process your personal data based on your consent, we will only save your personal data for as long as we still have your consent.
WP Engine, Inc (“WP Engine”)
This website’s hosting services are offered by WP Engine. WP Engine is committed to observing the EU data protection law. The website is secured in the following ways, among others: 24 h surveillance, HTTPS protection, regular updates, and storing collected information in databases protected by firewalls, encryption techniques and limited access control and network access. More information on WP Engine’s terms can be found here: https://wpengine.com/legal/privacy/
Google LLC (“Google Analytics”)
We use Google Analytics to measure the use of our web services. Google Analytics may place cookies on the user’s device to collect data for example on website’s visitor numbers. More information on Google Analytics’ terms are found here: https://policies.google.com/privacy/partners?hl=en
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies
These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website.
They allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Google Analytics
Marine Benefits is using Google Analytics in order to gain further understanding of how the website is used. Data such as pages viewed and time on site is stored in Google Analytics. You can opt-out of having your site activity available to Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-opt-out/fllaojicojecljbmefodhfapmkghcbnh?hl=en
- Google Tag Manager
Is used to implement scripts from third parties.
- Search Console
A service offered by Google that helps monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot the site’s presence in Google Search results
- HotJar is occasionally used to improve user experience. HotJar registers users activities on the site and presents it as heat maps or videos of the session. The service only refers to existing information on the site, entry of new information is censored.
These are used to recognize you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region). They are not used to track visitors on sites that are not hosted by Marine Benefits.
Targeting cookies / Third party advertising
These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. If you choose not to provide personal data Marine Benefits will not be able to personalize advertising targeted towards you in the same way.
Google LLC (“Google”)
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. Here are some links to instructions for the most used browsers:
You can find out more about blocking cookies in specific browsers at http://aboutcookies.org.
You still have to delete existing cookies in your browser.
Communications and promotional materials
The Company may use your Personal Data in order to communicate necessary information to you in order to fulfill any agreement the Company has concluded with you.
- Should you choose to use our 3rd-party live chat function provided by LiveChat, they may collect information (including Personal Data) provided by you in a Pre-chat survey.
- Furthermore, after you have submitted your Personal Data in the LiveChat form, we will have the option to contact you with marketing or promotional materials and other information, unless you choose not to receive such materials, by ticking the appropriate checkbox when providing us with your Personal Data in the LiveChat form. You will also have the option to opt-out or unsubscribe, from receiving marketing or promotional materials at any time, by choosing the “unsubscribe” option in the emails we send you. If you receive any promotional materials by mail, the material will include specific contact information for unsubscribing from this service.
While you have always been able to withdraw previously given consent for our marketing or promotional materials by unsubscribing, you will also be able to request the deletion of your personal data and we’ll make sure your personal data is permanently removed from both our servers as well as from any third party partners.
- You may at any time and free of charge request a transcript of records regarding the Company’s Processed Personal Data regarding yourself. We will then, without undue delay, provide you with an adequate transcript of record.
- You may at any time contact the Company in order to withdraw your consent regarding the Company’s right to Process your Personal Data. This will however not affect the lawfulness of the Processing for the time before your consent is withdrawn.
- You may at any time request that the Company erase personal data regarding yourself. We will then, without undue delay, permanently remove the Personal Data in question from both our servers as well as from any third party partners if one of the following grounds applies:
- The Processed Personal Data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed.
- You withdraw consent on which the Processing is based and where there is no other legal ground for the Processing (if applicable);
- The Processed Personal Data has been unlawfully Processed;
- The Processed Personal Data has to be erased for compliance with legal obligations
- You may at any time request to obtain from the data controller confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you is being processed, where and for what purpose. The Company, as the data controller, shall provide a copy of the personal data, free of charge, in an electronic format.
Links to other sites
Our Services may contain links to other sites. If you click on a third-party link, you will be directed to that site. Note that these external sites are not operated by the company. Therefore, we strongly advise you to review the privacy policies of these websites. We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party sites or services.
Changes to this policy
We may update this policy from time to time and any new version will be published on our website. Thus, we advise you to review this page periodically for any changes. The changes are effective immediately after they are posted on this page.
Complaints to the data protection authority
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Norwegian data protection authority, Datatilsynet, if you believe that our Processing of Personal Data is in breach with the GDPR.